Wednesday, May 7, 2008

myanmar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iELcWN8LZcA&NR=1

Why does stuff like this always seem to happen "over there." and why is it so easy to feel detached? This is about the only time when I feel genuinely frustrated with politics. The government of Burma and Myanmar have such tight controls they are not even approving the visas to let the relief workers in right now to help. Over 100,000 predicted dead. And countries are sending "condolence messages." That sounds super helpful. Yet at the same time, what are they supposed to do if the govenments of the suffering nations wont even accept help for their own people? Or wont handle the help with integrity? Dumping bodies into rivers because there is no where else to put them, little kids guarding food supplies in temples, trying to ration it to make it last as more people drift in, saying they have lost everything.

I wish i could drop everything and fly over there right now. If I had the money, I would. But what could I do? Other people are already trying. I hope they can make a difference, and that the government will let them in. Praying is about all I can do. I wish that felt more satisfying at this moment.

No comments: