Sunday, July 5, 2009

hearty

The in-between time after college is odd. I am house-sitting for my parents right now. Day 10 of 33 days by myself. I am currently cooking 99 cent pasta for myself for dinner. The box said to bring the contents to a "hearty" boil. What the heck does that mean? Somewhere between dancing to Destinys Child's Bug-a-Boo in my kitchen and throwing a stick for the dog, I realized I forgot to stir the pasta constantly. I came back to look at it and it was rather "heartily" boiling over the sides of the stove. Seriously, who has the time to stir this pasta constantly for the required 18 minutes? And what pasta needs 18 minutes to cook? There was a reason it was on sale apparently. Being poor is hard. Not that this is any kind of suffering at all compared to the majority of the world, I understand that, but this is just goofy.

I checked the whole graduating from college thing off my list. I got really good at being in college the final two quarters I was there. I wish I had four months of May-the last full month I had of school-to really soak everything up for the last time. but I cant. it is over. And I am sitting in the place that used to be home that now is just a painful and necessary in-between before my next adventure. And no one is here with me. I am anxious to follow God into this next thing, but there is this strange, tentacle like part of me that is clinging to the past. Seattle is not a part of my life for at least the next year. My head has accepted that, but my heart has not. It kind of hurts a little bit. I don't know how to process graduating, my mind cant really do it. I dont know if anyone actually does. Most people run frantically into a job or a marriage or whatever, then let their eyes grow misty ten years down the road when they think about how awesome college was, and how their current life just is not as cool.

I will not let that be my story. College was epic for me, and the best thing ever for the last four years. But it is over now and my life is just beginning. And every year is going to be better. because I will be living the way I was created to live. I can promise that.

The pasta is done. And it looks pretty lumpy because I did not stir it. I will have to add salt.

No comments: