Monday, February 23, 2009

Machiavelli

I have been reading The Prince and learning about it in class for the past six weeks. Machiavelli was a very interesting guy. He was so intense. To him, the only true religion is power, and the two greatest mistakes you can make as a leader are to avoid war or to hesitate to break your word. He sees it as weakness to not do so because the people you are helping will never help you in return. Why should you do anything for them? The ability to do the utmost you can to control your circumstances is real freedom. So basically: don't trust anyone, don't get close enough to anyone to have them do anything to you, and do everything bad to them first so you will move ahead. Then you will feel complete.

In my opinion, his kingdom will ultimately implode of its own incoherence because cooperation and collaboration can be just as real as conflict. But I like him. He is original. And I can see where he is coming from, but I want to trust people more then that.

I guess that makes me a sucker. I'm ok with that.

No comments: