Sunday, December 7, 2008

truth

"Truth strikes us from behind, and in the dark."
Henry David Thoreau

That seems true for me here. I think I know what I am doing walking forward, and the brokenness, the despair of God's beloved taps me on the shoulder and says "look at me. Im here. Be with me in this." I have discovered God in a whole new way: through darkness.

"Those who believe that they believe in God, but without any passion in their heart, any anguish of mind, without uncertainty, without doubt, without an element of despair even in their consolation, believe only in the God-idea, not in God."
Miguel De Unamuno

Finding God in darkness, wrestling with Ultimate Truth in the midst of unimaginable evil, that is real. Being angry, feeling anguish, burning with passion for justice in the midst of incredible doubt, that is belief God understands. Apathy, deliberate ignorance, exclusion motivated by "faith", those are belief in the God-idea. God is not in that.

Thats what I think.

No comments: